Poisonous substances are frequently used for cleaning, manufacturing, decoration, medication and more, but they can be quite dangerous when a person uses them in the wrong manner. If someone has come into contact with poison, follow this treatment guide to ensure they get the help they need.

Reduce the Severity of the Exposure

The very first thing you need to do is get the poison away from the individual as soon as possible. If the poison was inhaled, remove the person from the area if possible or open windows to give them fresh air immediately. For poison that was splashed on the skin, remove any contaminated clothing, and rinse the area with room temperature water for at least 15 minutes. Use a mild soap to wash away the poison if it is sticky. If the poison got in the eyes, be sure to remove contact lenses before irrigating the eyes for 15 to 20 minutes. For cases where the poison was ingested, the person is conscious, and the poison is irritating the mouth and throat, try encouraging the person to sip a small amount of water.

Check for Ways to Manage the Specific Poison

Keep in mind that every poison is different. Thanks to the internet, it is easy to research poison types as long as you stick to reputable sources. It may be helpful to use an online guide, like this one from the National Capital Poison Center, to see if there are any recommended treatment options for the type of poison that a person came into contact with.

Seek Medical Attention

Even if the person seems fine, it is still essential to get medical attention as soon as possible. In any circumstance where the person has collapsed, cannot breathe, will not wake up, or is having a seizure, you need to call 911 immediately. For instances where a person is experiencing other severe symptoms, take them straight to the emergency room. Never wait to see if symptoms will get better following a poisoning. Instead, it is important to treat the issue as soon as possible. If the individual is not experiencing any pain, redness, vomiting, loss of consciousness, or other symptoms, call the doctor and ask whether or not further medical attention is needed.